Sunday, October 21, 2012

Scientists in the Field

 I just love it when a field trip is so successful- it was "better than summer vacation".

As part of our geology study we visited Morefield Mines to hunt for rocks as scientists in the field.  As one student put it "scientists get dirty." We did get dirty and we learned so much.  So how were the students being scientists?

"We listened and observed closely"

"We got information."

"We chose the equipment we needed"

"We focused on finding garnets"

"We dug for rocks, then identified them"

"I looked for good places to dig, we looked together"

"I made discoveries"



"I cleaned my rocks in the sluice and was surprised to find some topaz."

"I made them shiny so they were easier to observe"

"I noticed that wet rocks looked different when they dried."

"There were even good rocks in the discard pile!'


A successful field trip acts as a springboard to other investigations.  We have been focusing on the skills of classifying and observing. One of the children asked about a microscope so I brought some into the classroom.  For some of the students it was the first time they had used a microscope so it was exciting.
Among the "Wows' and "look at this's" I also heard students teaching each other how the microscope worked, showing each other how to move the mirror or focus the lens.




















3 comments:

  1. The excitment about rocks has spilled over into 3rd grade too. It comes mostly through the recess economy because rocks are a hot item, but I can't help but think our interactions with your class have influenced the interest. The children sat around a rocks and minerals chatting energetically this morning. And guess what, I've been asked to smell more than a few rocks by my kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 8th grade is about to undertake an investigation about rocks. It would be a great opportunity for your class to share some of their learning, I bet they know more than they think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara,
    I spoke to the 4th grade and they are excited about sharing their understandings with the 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete