Monday, October 1, 2012

Sometimes we just have to wait for the right moment for an idea to take off.  The class was interested in investigating rocks.  So, we observed, we sorted, one of the students brought in information about the three types of rocks and they immediately wanted to name them.  This proved to be very tricky.  Even though the interest level was okay, where to go next was difficult. I decided to go another route.  At the creek some of the students were excited about throwing the rocks to try and break them. I decided to capitalize on this, yet in a more controlled manner.  So complete with safety goggles and hammers we smashed some of the rocks.  This as you can imagine was just so much fun!  But also it was the magic that launched them.

Suddenly the ideas were flying around:

"Melanie, I made sand"

"That rock went poof, into dust"

"Can I see if I can remake the rock?"

"I'd like to do an experiment"

Freezing the rocks, or mixing them with water,  seemed to be  big things, also making a new rock with the crushed sediment.  I'm constantly hearing the words "I'm surprised" or "I wonder what will happen if....." . The students are very willing to record their thinking, to make plans for their experiments and to write or draw what they are noticing.

Drawing on previous understandings is also apparent.  One student devised an experiment to compare some sediment with salt, another his quartz rock with ice.

Who knows when an idea will take off. We must remember to slow down, and watch what the children are doing, and they will take the lead.

1 comment:

  1. Very exciting! Our family is currently very interested in minerals and gems, and G will be bringing in half of a geode that my grandfather (a rock hound) found, as well as some amethyst crystals. Over the summer we traveled to Maine and the beautiful beach rocks there were the source of much interest. Rock tumblers and how they work has also been a line of inquiry here. I'm really interested to see where the 4th graders take their study.

    ReplyDelete